|05:37 Hours. Looking East from Antietam Ridge toward Turner and Fox Gaps. Fog rising from Antietam Creek.|
|06:03 Hours. Sun rising over Turner's Gap and reflecting on fog from Antietam Creek.|
Ramblings on the West Woods at Antietam National Battlefield Park
|Jones' references plotted on the Cope/Carman 1908 map.|
9:00 Map. A: "we had to get over a fence;" B: "to our
right front there was a rick of Straw;" C: "[100 yards in
front of the Union line was] "a rock
fence that had been pulled down;" D and F: we "ran the
enemy through these woods...when we came to another
field...there was some stacks of straw, a barn, and dwelling
a little to our left."
|10:30 Map. F marks the straw stacks south of the|
|Callom B. Jones (1842-1912). |
Picture credit: George Seitz.
|North Main Street, Keedysville, looking north. The original road can be readily seen in this view.|
|The end of North Main Street from Google Earth.|
|North Main Street, September 1862.|
|Major-General John Sedgwick|
Library of Congress
|George A. Woodruff|
|Woodruff's Battery circled in blue. From the Cope/Carman|
Map 9:00 Hrs. (1908 Edition, Library of Congress).
|Google Earth view of Maryland Route 65|
as it runs past the west side of the Park.
|Detail of the westward curve just south|
of the field.
|The original Hagerstown Pike traced in graphic pen. The|
red circle shows one of the Carman iron tablets visible in the
following ground-level photo.
|A view of the original Hagerstown Pike looking south.|
Three iron tablets are visible and mark the original
Pike (as well as the original tour route).
|The road taken. In the 1920s a segment of the original Frederick road was abandoned by the straightening of Maryland|
Route 355. In this north facing view, a stone boulder and roadside marker shown here now marks this feat.
The original Frederick road continues on the left while Maryland Route 355 runs on the right.
|Map of the Battlefield of Antietam No. 1. Antietam Board, 1893. In 1862, the most direct route from Keedysville|
to the Upper Bridge a direct westerly route out of town. At some point in the past 151 years, this direct route
was truncated and the approach to the bridge abandoned. The present day Coffman Farm Road traces the
original route from Keedysville, across Rte. 34, and then to its truncated spur now abandoned. Numerical
references (in red) refer to photos below.
|Google Earth map of present day Coffman Farm Road. Red route|
parallels the current road. Blue route traces the now-abandoned bridge approach.
|View of the lost Keedysville Road looking east from vantage point 1 (see map above).|
|View looking east from vantage point 2.|
View at vantage point 3 looking west toward the Upper Bridge just beyond the vehicle.
Since these photos were taken in 2011, wind storms have brought down a significant
number of trees on the abandoned road bed. The route, however, can still be
traversed albeit with more difficulty than in 2011.